The LSM program cannot admit students who already have started their undergraduate education at another college or university.
LSM may consider transfer applications from Penn freshmen interested in entering the program as sophomores. However, transfers are possible only as space allows. LSM classes that are full (i.e., have 24 students or more) will not be able to accommodate transfer students. Students interested in LSM therefore are strongly advised to apply to the program for freshman admission.
Transfer applications will only be considered after completion of at least eight course units at Penn, at the end of the spring of freshman year.
If you're a current Penn freshman who would like to get in touch regarding a possible internal transfer, you can email Peter Stokes, the Director of Advising and Administration.
Impact of Fall 2020/Spring 2021 Pass/Fail Policy
For any course taken pass/fail in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, please note the following:
- The LSM transfer admissions committee will look at the original grade submitted by the course instructor before it was converted to a "P."
- Original grades of courses taken pass/fail in the 2020-21 academic year will not be used to recalculate your GPA for purposes of eligibility.
- Courses taken pass/fail during the 2020-21 academic year will not count toward the one pass/fail course per academic year maximum.
- If you receive a "P" in a required course taken in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 you will be eligible to apply. However, the committee will consider the strength of your performance in required courses taken pass/fail.
- If you wish to let the transfer admissions committee know of any extenuating circumstances surrounding a particular grade or decision to take a course pass/fail, please include your explanation in your application.
To be eligible, internal transfer applicants are required to have completed, or have equivalent credit or a waiver for, by the end of spring semester of freshman year:
- Econ 001 and Econ 002 (current College students) or Econ 010 (current Wharton students)
NB: Econ 001 and 002 cannot be taken together in the same semester
- Math 104
- Biology 121 (preferred), and preferably at least one other semester of science course work (or, for those intending to major in Biochemistry or Chemistry, Chem 101 and Chem 102 or equivalent). Note that Biology 121 is only offered in the fall semester. Biology 121 is preferred, but other science courses can be considered.
Students must also have a minimum GPA of 3.60 to be considered.
How to Apply
While we anticipate space being veryy limited this year, we are accepting applications. Internal transfer applicants must submit the following materials as a pdf via email by Monday May 17th:
- The LSM Application - To download the transfer application, CLICK HERE.
- The Personal Essay
- A Resume
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a Penn faculty member. Please note that recommendations should be confidential; they must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition, we hope to hold interviews online with all applicants, conducted with the LSM Faculty Co-Directors. Please contact Peter Stokes at email@example.com in advance of the May 17th deadline (and preferably by mid-April) if you intend to apply, in order to schedule the meeting.
If you'd like to be considered for an uncoordinated dual degree in the event you're not admitted by LSM, you should also apply online to the relevant school.