The LSM program cannot admit students who already have started their undergraduate education at another college or university.
LSM may consider transfer applications from Penn freshmen interested in entering the program as sophomores. However, transfers are possible only as space allows. LSM classes that are full (i.e., have 24 students or more) will not be able to accommodate transfer students. Students interested in LSM therefore are strongly advised to apply to the program for freshman admission.
Transfer applications will only be considered after completion of at least eight course units at Penn, at the end of the spring of freshman year.
If you're a current Penn freshman who would like to get in touch regarding a possible internal transfer, you can email Peter Stokes, the Director of Advising and Administration.
To be eligible, internal transfer applicants are required to have completed, or have equivalent credit or a waiver for, by the end of spring semester of freshman year:
- ECON 0100 and ECON 0200 (current College students) or BEPP 1000 (current Wharton students)
NB: Econ 0100 and 0200 cannot be taken together in the same semester (so unless you have a waiver, you will need to take Econ 0100 in fall of your first year)
- MATH 1400
- BIOL 1121 (preferred), and preferably at least one other semester of science course work (or, for those intending to major in Biochemistry or Chemistry, CHEM 1012 and CHEM 1022 or equivalent). Note that Biology 1121 is only offered in the fall semester. Science courses other than the suggested ones listed here will also be considered.
Students must also have a minimum GPA of 3.6 to be considered.
How to Apply
While we anticipate space being limited this year, we will be accepting applications. Applications will be due by Tuesday, May 16th, 2023. The application consists of:
- The LSM Application (we ask for basic information, any summer plans you might have, and any special circumstances we should know of)
- The Personal Essay (about why you wish to combine life sciences and management, and why this program is a better fit than your current path)
- A Resume
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one of which must be from a Penn faculty member. It would be helpful for at least one to address your skills in and enthusiasm for science. You will need to fill out the Letter of Recommendation Confidentiality Agreement and send this form to each of your recommenders. Please ask your recommender to submit this form with their letter of recommendation.
Selected applicants will be invited to virtual interviews led by the Faculty Co-Directors, Dr. Burns and Dr. Rea. If you'll be unavailable for interviewing in late May or early June, you should try to let Peter Stokes know in advance: email@example.com
If you'd like to be considered for an uncoordinated dual degree in the event you're not admitted by LSM, you should also apply online to the relevant school.
If you'd be applying to join Wharton, see: